Chiang Mai

History

Seven hundred kilometres northwest of Bangkok and just over 300 metres above sea level, Chiang Mai sits along the Mae Ping River, a tributary of the Chao Praya River that flows through Bangkok.

Chiang Mai, meaning “new city” in Thai, was founded by King Mangrai in 1296, succeeding Chiang Rai as the capital of the Lanna Kingdom, or literally “Kingdom of a Million Fields.”

Lanna was a prosperous trading centre on the route from Yunnan in the south of China to the Burmese coast and the Gulf of Martaban. The Kingdom was also renowned for its scholars and craftsmen. A city wall was built to protect it from invading Burmese who nonetheless managed to occupy the royal capital in 1558. Chiang Mai formally became part of the Thai Kingdom in 1774 when King Taksin captured this prize back from the Burmese. As the unofficial capital of the north of Thailand, Chiang Mai remains a close second in national importance to Bangkok.

Directions to hotel

  • From Chiang Mai International Airport, proceed straight to Mahidol Road (Highway 1141).
  • Turn left at Far Eastern University, continue to Bunrueang Road along the moat before turning right to Maneenopparat Road.
  • Passing the intersection to Wichayanon Road, cross the Mae Ping river using the Nakornping bridge and head straight to Kaeo Nawarat Road.
  • Turn right to Nawatgate Road and you will see 137 Pillars House located on the right side of Soi 1 Nawatgate Road.

For more information, please call +66 53 247 788.